*We are not accepting applications at this time – please see below for more details.*
In 2012, RHAP launched the Gaps Fellowship to provide family physicians providing care in critically underserved areas with intensive support to integrate abortion into their clinical practice. The fellowship is a one-year program; however, support from RHAP continues beyond the first year.
Gaps fellows commit to integrating early abortion care into their practice during the Fellowship year in collaboration with RHAP staff and to participating in project evaluation efforts.
Fellows receive, on an as-needed basis:
- Intensive technical assistance to set up appropriate clinical and administrative systems at the clinical site. This includes:
- Medical documentation, billing, and reimbursement
- Back-up planning
- Identifying resources for manual vacuum aspiration and other supplies
- Facilitating medication abortion start-up kit
- Access to clinical experts to help draft protocols, policies, and procedures, and to provide clinical counsel,
- Security and facility considerations
- Outreach to practice partners
- Identification of community supports and building a community network
- Financial support to help cover specific start-up costs, including support towards first-year malpractice costs. Additional support for supplies and equipment may be available, depending on funding.
- Access to legal counsel;
- Access to experts to provide values clarification to staff, as needed.
- Financial support to attend relevant national and regional conferences, such as the National Abortion Federation Annual Meeting.
Applicants must be board-certified or board-eligible family physicians who will have completed residency training, have been trained in abortion care and plan on working in an abortion provider shortage area. Recent graduates and mid-career physicians are eligible.
We are not currently accepting applications for the Gaps Fellowship. If you are interested in being notified when we re-open this program, please send an email expressing your interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also subscribe to our newsletter or follow us on social media and we will announce when we are taking applications again.
Make a donation
Your gift allows us to train and support health care providers across the United States so they can offer patients compassionate and comprehensive care.