Apply to Join RHAP’s Board of Directors! (NOW CLOSED)
RHAP is currently recruiting people to serve on the organization’s Board of Directors. This is an exciting and unique opportunity to further support an organization working to increase access to abortion and reproductive health care in primary care!
We are particularly interested in candidates who have:
- Legal experience supporting nonprofits, reproductive rights/health/justice, and/or other social justice causes (attorneys welcome);
- Expertise in communications/public relations to help us communicate our mission and work;
- Expertise in finance and/or accounting, and who can provide guidance on RHAP achieving its mission while also providing thriving wages and benefits to our staff, and/or;
- Experience as a fundraising professional in the nonprofit sector.
All candidates should have:
- A demonstrated commitment to RHAP’s values and mission to train, support, and mobilize primary care clinicians to ensure equitable access to sexual and reproductive health care, including abortion.
- An interest actively contributing to RHAP’s journey to become an anti-racist organization, including engaging in critical conversations around white supremacy, homophobia, transphobia, racial justice, and disability rights among other topics, as well as developing and implementing anti-racist and equitable practices and structures.
- Interest in and/or experience serving on a nonprofit board, which provides organizational strategy, oversight, accountability, and ensures the organization has adequate resources to achieve its mission.
Your expectations (including the time commitment) for board service includes:
- Commit to a 3-year term to start January 1, 2023 (start date can be flexible if necessary).
- Attend 2-hour board meetings via Zoom every 2 months (currently Thursday evenings Eastern Time, but moveable if necessary).
- Serve on or chair at least 1 board committee, which include: fundraising, finance, governance, equity, HR, and audit.
- Support RHAP’s fundraising efforts to ensure RHAP can achieve its mission while providing a thriving wage and great benefits to its amazing staff. RHAP does not require a “give or get,” but all board members are expected to donate whatever fits their budget and to engage in fundraising efforts (e.g., host fundraising events, share fundraising appeals with your network).
- Engage in RHAP activities (e.g., attend RHAP-sponsored events (virtually or in person), follow and uplift RHAP on social media, recruit and activate new supporters to RHAP).
- Actively engage in RHAP’s journey to become an anti-racist organization, which may include participating in racial caucuses, outside reading, learning sessions, and critical conversations to further our individual and organizational growth.
Why should you join the board?
Not only will you be contributing your skills, expertise, and experience to a small but highly effective national organization that is working against the tide in this country to increase access to sexual and reproductive health care, including abortion, but you will also have amazing networking opportunities.
Here is how to apply:
Submit a statement of interest (no more than 250 words, please) and your CV to email@example.com by Sunday, November 19th. The Board Recruitment Committee will conduct phone conversations with applicants at the end of November/early December. Selected candidates will be presented to and voted on by the full Board of Directors. The new board members will begin their 3-year term in January.
BIPOC, LGBTQ+ individuals, disabled people, others with marginalized identities, and those living outside of NYC and DC are encouraged to apply!
Questions? Please ask!