It has been a tumultuous few weeks for reproductive rights. Nine states – Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, and Utah – now have anti-abortion laws that criminalize clinicians and patients. Several more states have similar bans that are likely to pass in the coming weeks. These cruel and unconstitutional laws are the latest in a wave of extreme abortion measures being proposed all around the country in an attempt to get the Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade.
At the same time, other states, like Illinois, Massachusetts, Nevada, New York, and Rhode Island are passing legislation to secure abortion access in their states.
No matter where you live, now is the time to take action. Here are some things you can do.
- Send a message to your congressional representative letting them know you support lifting federal bans on abortion
- Sign our petition to make mifepristone (a.k.a. the abortion pill) available by prescription
- Support local abortion funds like the Yellowhammer Fund in Alabama and Access Reproductive Health Care-Southeast that help people find and pay for abortion care.
- Keep your fingers on the pulse by following organizations like Rewire.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter, where we share new actions you can support, as they emerge.
Abortion care is basic health care. As new actions emerge, we’ll share them with you. Join us in taking action to make sure it stays that way. #StopTheBans