Beyond Roe: Medication Abortion
Taking mifepristone with misoprostol is a safe, effective, and common way to have a medication abortion. This combination has been available in the United States since 2000. Mifepristone with misoprostol can be used up to 11 weeks of pregnancy, when the vast majority of abortions in this country occur, and can also be easily offered in primary care settings.
As we prepare for the Supreme Court’s decision in Dobbs v Jackson Women’s Health Organization, RHAP is urging and supporting clinicians and health centers in states where abortion will continue to be available to consider providing abortion care. Creating new access points for abortion care in states that are likely to experience a surge in demand is one critical way we can help ensure that those who need care get it.
Want to learn more about abortion care?
Join us on Thursday, July 20th at 12 pm ET / 9 am PT for an Abortion 101 workshop. This one hour workshop, led by two of RHAP’s Reproductive Health Care and Advocacy Fellows, will provide a thorough overview of early abortion care options commonly used in the United States, including self-managed/self-sourced medication abortion. This myth-busting workshop will give you an understanding of how to talk about abortion care to your friends, family, and colleagues so that you can take part in reducing abortion stigma. Sign up now!
Check out our education materials to learn more about abortion care:
- Early Abortion Options Fact Sheet
- Sam’s Medication Abortion Zine
- Elena’s Aspiration Abortion Zine
- How to Use Abortion Pills: Mifepristone + Misoprostol
- How to Use Abortion Pills with Misoprostol Alone
Are you a clinician? Here are resources to help you provide medication abortion in your clinical practice:
- Learn to provide medication abortion. Take this one-hour online training, earn CE, and learn the basics of providing medication abortion care.
- Our Toolkit for Integrating Medication Abortion into Primary Care guides you through a process for adding medication abortion to your practice.
- FAQs on Integrating abortion into a Community Health Center
- Medication abortion key counseling points
Ready to take it to the next level? Here are some resources to help you connect, teach, advocate, and provide sexual and reproductive health care:
- Host a clinical education training in your community. We can support you. Connect to our network team.
- Join the Reproductive Health Access Network to connect with other primary care clinicians protecting and expanding access to sexual and reproductive health care.
- Are you ready to start offering medication abortion in your practice? Sign up for our Medication Abortion Office Hours for assistance trouble shooting implementation issues.