Self-sourced medication abortion or self-managed abortion (SMA) is “safe, effective, and empowering.” It offers an important alternative to clinical care, especially now that the U.S. Supreme Court is poised to decimate the legal right to abortion. SMA is a reproductive justice and human rights issue; providing people with the tools and information to manage their abortion enables them to exercise their bodily autonomy and to be in control of their health and well-being.
The Reproductive Health Access Project believes all people should have access to the full range of safe abortion options, including self-managed care, to end a pregnancy safely and with dignity on their own terms. RHAP is proud to offer educational resources to support individuals having an abortion with pills, as well as clinicians caring for patients who self-manage their abortion and may have questions.
As RHAP develops new resources and provides clinicians and people seeking care education and support, we follow the leadership of grassroots, feminist, and reproductive justice organizations, communities, and individuals around the world who have long been doing the work to support SMA.
Learn more about self-managed abortion:
- RHAP’s blog post on SMA
- Repro Action’s SMA campaign resources
- Interrupting Criminalization
- Self Managed Abortion Accompaniment
Check out RHAP’s self-managed abortion resource page with resources like these on how to self-manage abortion with pills at home:
- Sam’s Medication Abortion Zine
- How to Use Abortion Pills: Mifepristone + Misoprostol
- How to Use Abortion Pills with Misoprostol Alone
- Our new self-managed abortion resource page
Check out our partner organizations’ resources too:
- Plan C: resources on how to get abortion pills
- If/When/How Repro Legal Helpline: know your SMA rights
Connect with clinicians or trained peer support networks to help you at any stage in your self-managed abortion
- M+A Hotline: Confidential text line for support to self-manage your miscarriage or abortion
- ReproCare: Confidential, peer-based, trauma-informed support to people having abortions with pills at home.
- Women Help Women
- Self-Managed Abortion; Safe & Supported
- Mobile Phone Apps: Euki, Cara